The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, August 10, 2007

A Matter of Faith...




By Carol Round
Just Because You Go to Church

“For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God’s building.”
1Corinthinians 3:9 (NIV)

“I’m a Christian but I don’t go to church.”

That statement, made during a conversation I overheard between two women recently, grabbed my attention for two reasons: the tone of the speaker’s voice and my life experiences with religion.

Almost six years ago, when I was lost, I came to know the Lord personally as my savior. Growing up, I attended church faithfully but drifted away in my early 20s. I returned to my roots after my sons were born because I wanted them to have the same foundation of faith. However, over the next two decades, my church attendance was sporadic. My excuse? I met so many hypocrites sitting beside me in the pews that I convinced myself I didn’t need to be there. I thought I was above all of that.

I was self-righteous in my thoughts. I even made the same statement as the woman in the overheard conversation. “I’m a Christian but I don’t go to church.”

I like a statement made by one of my favorite television ministers: “Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian anymore than going to McDonald’s makes you a French fry.”
We justify our lack of church attendance by condemning the behavior of those who do. While church attendance is not a requirement to have a relationship with the Lord, I believe that it is a necessity for our spiritual growth. Fellowship with other believers helps us along that path.
Attending church is also an act of obedience to God. In Hebrews, the writer tells us “not to forsake meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another.”
Why do some people shun church? Is it because we put on our Sunday morning faces at religious services and then live the rest of the week as if we have left God behind in the building where we worshipped. If we save our best behavior for the Sabbath, what does that say about us as Christians?

I like how my pastor defines church: “A church is not a hotel for saints. It’s a hospital for sinners.”

We all face temptation—even those who attend worship services each week. Being part of an organized fellowship encourages us in our walk with the Lord. When one of us stumbles and falls, we have our church community to help lift us up.

When I first started writing this column, I approached numerous Oklahoma newspaper editors about carrying it weekly. I received a variety of similar responses. However, I still recall one editor’s reply almost two years later.

“I really like what you have to say, but don’t you think you’re preaching to the choir?”

“Sometimes, even the choir needs a reminder,” I replied.

Attending church is an expression of our love for God. The preaching and teaching of His word increases our faith and builds us up spiritually.

A church is more than four walls. Are you a part of it?
A collection of Carol Round’s most popular faith-based columns is now available in book form. For more information, readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the Editor:

I've only recently (over the past week) found your new online newspaper and find it a pleasure to read. Keep up the good work!

To the Author of this column:

I had the pleasure of having Carol Round as a teacher my senior year (1987) and will look forward to reading her column each week. (Please don't critique my writing style...)

R,
Steve Neal

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home