The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, May 25, 2007

A Matter of Faith...



By Carol Round

Who Are You?
“Once you had no identity as a people; now you are God’s people. Once you received no mercy; now you have received God’s mercy.” 1 Peter 2:10 (NLT)

“Dead man may have been illegal”

This newspaper headline, and the story that followed, have haunted me since I read it. The story, about a man who was found dead after falling from a train, first ran when the body was discovered without any identification. The follow-up story in the local paper revealed the man’s name. According to officials, the man fit the profile of an illegal immigrant. However, none of the details had been confirmed at the time.

Two things struck me about this story. When the body was discovered, there was nothing to confirm the man’s identity. Second, at this writing, his family had not been found. Unconfirmed identity. Missing family.

Several weeks ago, our pastor’s sermon focused on 1 Peter 2:1-10. He opened his sermon with the following question: How would you describe yourself? Most of us, our pastor said, would immediately answer that question with our vocation: doctor, lawyer, nurse, teacher or another profession.

Six years ago, I began struggling with an important question—who am I? I could identify myself as Carol Round, high school teacher. I could also identify with the following: wife, mother, daughter, sister, aunt and friend.

However, when I was 47-years-old, my life changed dramatically. I could no longer claim the identity of wife. About the same time, my nest became empty, and although I was still a mother, and always will be, my role changed.

Three years later, I faced more changes. In the same year I became a grandmother, I also lost my mother. The following year, I retired from teaching after 30 years in the same school system. I had a major identity crisis.

When I looked in the mirror, I saw a difference in my skin and my hair color—a few more tiny wrinkles and a few more grey hairs. However, the changes I saw reflected in the mirror did not reveal my inner turmoil.

I was discussing my “identity crisis” with a friend. I said, “Who am I, Linda?” However, before she could reply, I answered my own question. “I know who I am. I am a child of God.”

What about the unidentified man who fell from the train? Where had he been? What was his destination? Did he have a family?

Authorities may never know the answer to all of these questions. However, when I learned his name, I was captivated. His first name was Jesus. This reminded me of another man named Jesus.
Jesus of Nazareth identified himself as more than a remarkable teacher or prophet. He proclaimed that He was God, making His identity the focal point of His teaching. The all-important question He put to His followers was, “Who do you say I am?”
When I began to identify myself as a child of the most high God, I was no longer lost. I know who I am and I know where I’m going. Do you?

A collection of Carol Round’s most popular faith-based columns is now available in book form. For more information, readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home