The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, May 18, 2007

A Matter of Faith...




By Carol Round


Need an Attitude Check?

“Do everything without complaining or arguing.” Philippians 2:14 (NIV)

I like writer Katherine Mansfield’s attitude about attitude: "Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. Life would undergo a change of appearance because we ourselves had undergone a change of attitude."

I spent many years thinking I could change others to meet my expectations. It doesn’t work. What does? A change in our own attitudes toward others.

During my 30 years as a public school teacher, I worked under different administrators. Although some of their administrative styles were compatible with my teaching philosophy, others were not. I can recall one new administrator whose ideas involved major changes. Some of the teachers, who were old-timers like me, resisted change. Our attitudes needed an adjustment. Before I began looking at things from my boss’s perspective, I allowed others’ complaining and arguing to affect my reaction.

When I began to distance myself from the pettiness, I saw things from a different viewpoint. My attitude check allowed me to accept the changes the principal made, even if I did not agree with him. After all, he was my boss.

Complaining and arguing are negative actions that can lead to hopelessness and defeat. However, we can choose to replace the negativity with an outlook that encourages positive thoughts and actions, which will make a difference in the world.

If all we do is complain about what is wrong with the government, with an institution or another person, what have we gained? Nothing but a bitter taste in our mouths and an angry heart. I know because I have been there. However, when we choose an attitude of gratitude, we can take necessary steps toward improvement.

In my Bible study class, we were discussing ways we could become better disciples for Christ. One of the participants commented on a co-worker’s attitude. Without thinking, I asked, “Have you prayed for him?”

He replied, “Yes.”

In the past, my poor attitude toward co-workers, whom I allowed to push my buttons, would not have led to prayers for him or her. Instead, I complained. When I came to the realization that I needed a change of perspective, life was more pleasant.

Our attitude toward others affects everything we say, do and feel. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to go through life miserable because I have allowed others to control me with their words and actions.

In the past, a traffic incident involving an angry driver honking his horn, might have set me off and ruined my morning. Not anymore. I smile and wave, leaving the other driver baffled with my response. I feel better and hope that my reaction improves his attitude.

A change in attitude requires a change of heart. I have found that there is only one way to achieve a lasting change and that is through a personal relationship with the Lord.

Do you need an attitude adjustment? Ask the Lord to help you keep your attitude in check today.

A collection of Carol Round’s most popular faith-based columns is now available in book form. For more information, readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home