The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, February 02, 2007

A Matter of Faith...




By Carol Round

Where do your footsteps lead?
Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. Psalm 119:133 (NIV)


The recent ice storm that glazed the ground left many unprepared. Whether driving on the hazardous roads or attempting to walk on the slick parking lots and sidewalks, navigation was not easy.

Navigating through life is not always a simple task either. Even when the path appears clear, unexpected obstacles can surface, forcing us to maneuver around them, drive directly through them or stop on the journey and wait.

Waiting is not easy when we want to push ahead in spite of the warning signs. Sometimes we must rely on our own feet; other times it is best to place our trust in the Lord and follow His footsteps.

I was visiting with a friend, whose suggestion prompted the idea for this column. During the course of our conversation, I mentioned that my life as a freelance writer can sometimes be lonely. However, I know that I am never alone. God is always with me.

God created us for relationships. He did not intend for us to be alone. So, when I tire of pounding on my keyboard and miss the human connection, I have choices. I can pick up the phone and call a friend or I can head outdoors for a walk. However, with the cold weather, it is not always the best choice. That’s when I head to the local recreation center for exercise and to bond with others.

I love walking on the indoor track. The treadmill is not fun. Who wants to stand in one place? Granted your feet are moving, but I don’t feel like I’m going anywhere. I’m on auto-pilot.

When I set out on each lap, I feel like I’m going somewhere, even if it is in circles. My favorite part of this routine is meeting others, especially the elderly whose footsteps are slower than mine. Some need a kind word of encouragement from me; others respond to my fast pace with friendly comments like, “Hey, are you trying to make us look bad?” or “You sure have a lot of energy.”

I may be energetic but it’s God’s direction that keeps me going. When I want to give up, His word steers me on the path of righteousness. When the ice storms of life threaten my journey, I must step back and let Him take the helm.

When He leads me, I operate out of kindness and love, and not my own selfish desires. When I feel myself slipping into self-pity, I allow Him to direct my footsteps. When I do, I find myself reaching out to others, like the ones at the recreation center who appear lonelier than I sometimes feel.

When I allow Him to plan my steps, instead of relying on my own feet, His goodness and mercy allow me to be a blessing to others.

Who is directing your footsteps? Where are they leading? If you follow the footprints of the One who came to serve, then you are on the right path.


A collection of Carol Round’s most popular faith-based columns is now available in book form. For more information, readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home