The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, April 13, 2007

A Matter of Faith...




By Carol Round

Unexpected Lessons

“I will praise the Lord, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.”
Psalm 16:7 (NIV)

For the first time in days, I had gone to sleep without the aid of painkillers. However, my sleep was not restful. I tossed and turned, confused by advice from well-meaning friends after an accident sent me to the hospital for two days.

A follow-up doctor’s appointment earlier that day assured me that I would recover. I felt blessed. I would only have a long scar on my right calf as a reminder of the trauma. Even so, I glared at the glowing red numbers on my alarm clock and began to pray. “God, please show me what to do.”

Arising from my sleepless night, I spent time with the Lord that morning. I had the answer to my question. Peace flooded my mind, body and soul. I knew what steps I needed to take.

Taking steps the first few days after the accident was not easy. I had to depend on crutches and friends and loved ones for assistance. I was not used to relying on others for help. Then I began to reflect on what lessons the Lord was teaching me during this time.

Because my writing is based on life experiences, I wanted to use this incident to help others too. As I began to list those life lessons, I realized how often we ignore what God is trying to tell us.

I am one who often forgets God’s instructions to rest. I have a tendency to push myself when what I need to do sometimes is just “be still.” Even God rested on the seventh day. Now I had no choice.

We do have a choice, however, to accept help from others. It’s not easy for me when my nature—just like a two-year-old who is testing her own independence—wants to jump up and say, “I can do it myself.” I can, however, hobble painfully to the kitchen to prepare my food or allow someone who cares to serve me.

When we let go of our ego, and say, “I need you,” then we are admitting our vulnerability. Our stubborn pride doesn’t want to admit defeat, even if it is temporary. God did not create us to be loners. Not only are we suppose to trust Him for our needs, we are to lean on family, friends and strangers to help carry our burdens.

During my recuperation, I have experienced the kindness of neighbors and friends who have mowed my lawn, walked my dog, brought food, cleaned house and shopped for groceries. I have received phone calls, visits, prayers, cards and flowers.

This incident has humbly taught me about being a recipient of grace. I have experienced the influence and spirit of God operating in humans to help me as I regain my strength.

God provides these unexpected life lessons for our growth. Even in the dead of night when we are awakened by His voice, He will answer when we ask.

A collection of Carol Round’s most popular faith-based columns is now available in book form. For more information, readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home