The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, March 16, 2007

Council Candidates Answer Chamber Questions

The Grove Chamber of Commerce recently sent out questionnaires to all City Council candidates on a number of issues. Their answers are printed below. The questions asked by the Chamber are noted only once, included in the material from David Adzigian, and are not repeated for each candidate due to space.

From David Adzigian, running against Larry Parham:
1. Question: Why do you feel you are qualified for a seat on the City Council?Adzigian: I have previously served 13 months on the Council. Currently I am a trustee and Chairman of the Grove Industrial Development Authority and a trustee of the Grove Municipal Airport Managing Authority. I am well aware of our city's needs.
2. Question: What strategy do you have to achieve a cohesive City Government?Adzigian: The City Council will select a new city manager. I have years of experience in hiring executive managers. We must start fresh with new, positive, forward thinking leadership in City Hall and on City Council, one that has a positive vision for our community.I will discuss the City's business in open forums so the entire community can participate, have equal access and be part of the decision making process. I will act as an unbiased mediator, as I have many times before in my business career, considering all sides of the issues before voting and do my very best to represent the best interests of the entire community. I will work to have City Hall keep the public informed on the issues and what our city government is doing on behalf of the people, through a program of increased public communications. Also, I will support an impartial Citizens Personnel Review Board to give fired city employees the opportunity for a fair hearing.
3. Question: What is your vision for Grove during your four-year term?Adzigian: Grove does not have a strategic plan for the future. We need one. I would establish a citizens working group, like the Grove Partners for Progress, to join with city government in the development and implementation of a Strategic Master Plan to address current and future infrastructure needs and to manage the growth of our community. This would include, at a minimum, continued development and upgrade of the city's sewer, gas and water systems including alleviating water shortages, low pressure and loss; a street modernization, resurfacing and sidewalk plan; and, integration of the Downtown Revitalization Project. I would work to attract new businesses to Grove, to increase tourism, to increase our revenue by creating a larger sales tax base, to assure completion of the Highway 59 widening project on time with minimum disruption to our community and to accelerate the downtown revitalization project.
4. Question: What is your position on the future of city funding for the Chamber of Commerce's marketing budget?Adzigian: A strong Chamber of Commerce is vital to any city, and it is to Grove, as long as it is well managed, adequately funded and shows results. The Chamber serves as the marketing, promotions and events sponsor for activities that bring people, businesses and new revenues to our city. By working hand-in-hand, the City and the Chamber can implement an effective Economic and Community Development Plan to attract new businesses, retain our current businesses and assist our current businesses to expand. I would favor increased funding of the Chamber's marketing program provided it emphasizes tourism, promotes use of the Civic Center and advances the City's economic development. The Chamber should provide measurable results to show the benefit of this use of taxpayer dollars.
5. Question: Will you support funding the city's share for Phase II of the Downtown Revitalization Project?Adzigian: Absolutely. This project is behind schedule by at least a year. We need to accelerate and complete this project as quickly as possible and give downtown its planned new look.Question: Do you think a tax incremental financial district (TIF) would be helpful for the downtown area?Adzigian: TIFs usually apply to the generation of "new income", not the transfer of existing income upon which the city is already dependent. Removal of existing sale tax revenues from the city's general fund could reduce the city's ability to meet current budget needs and hinder the completion of needed future projects.
6. Question: Assuming everyone is in favor of a new Civic Center and that a method of payment can be managed, would you support selling the current facility before a new center is complete and ready for occupancy?Adzigian: I support an improved Civic Events Center to meet the specific needs of our community, without tax increases, provided it is approved by the voters. It is doubtful, a new civic center could be constructed without first selling the existing center. We should negotiate with prospective buyers to allow the city one year's use of the building before taking it out of service.

From Larry Parham, (running against David Adzigian)
1. As the current elected Ward 3 Council representative, I believe I have been a voice for the people of Grove. I am able to make the tough decisions that are in the best interest for all the citizens. My door has been, and always will be, open to everyone and I value your input. I have fought for the programs that would benefit the community as a whole.
2. I want a fair and honest government that allows all citizens to voice their opinions in Council meetings and does not deny their constitutional rights. I also want ALL Council members to be a part of the decision-making process.
3. My vision for Grove is to start working together, to build a city that meets the needs of all the citizens. A city with AFFORDABLE utility rates, good streets, a safe environment and activities for both young and old. A city that improves on the quality of life and gives the taxpayers a dollar's value for a dollar collected in taxes.Being able to grow at a manageable pace that isn't too slow or too fast.In the past, we have spent our total capital funds on a single project, not allowing for growth in other areas. We must increase our police force so that they can be proactive in meeting the first requirement of government, the protection of its citizens.
4. I fought for the rights of the Chamber of Commerce and did NOT vote to reduce your funds. In the March 6th Council meeting, I also asked for reinstatement of the Chamber's funds to be placed on the March 20th agenda. I will be a leading advocate to restore the Chamber's funds.
5. I will support the downtown revitalization project; however, at this time the financial requirements of the city is unknown and would have to be addressed in our budgeting process. I believe that the revitalization of the downtown area IS in the best interest of Grove, and I will commit to work to accommodate it in the city budget. I cannot commit to the TIF without knowing the exact impact it would have on our budget. A TIF uses taxpayers money and should be judged accordingly in order to be fair to all projects of the city.
6. The method of payment for a new Civic Center, in my opinion, cannot be a tax in ANY form to the citizens of Grove. This question should be brought to a VOTE by the public to allow the citizens to make the choice.I would like to see a multi-purpose facility if it is financially possible, to house events such as the Home Show, meeting facilities, indoor musical presentations, and also include a walking area.

From Dustin Phillips, running against Gary Trippensee
1. While growing up here in Grove I was President of many clubs, and active in many projects around the community. The community of Grove is going to grow, and I have a strong desire to be a part in helping it grow in a positive and healthy direction.
2. I will try to stop the division in the city by communicating with both sides of each issue to reach a common ground.
3. I would like to see better streets and roads. I would like to see the Downtown revitalization to completion. Also the Hwy 59 project finished, our industrial park enlarged. and attract new business to our town in some way.
4. I would be in favor of raising the marketing budget of the chamber back to the previous $27,000, but in return for the raise a result audit semi-annually on how many businesses were attracted to Grove by the Chamber. I would also like to see a semi-annual list of exact expenditures on the marketing for new businesses and events.
5. I would definitely be in favor of supporting funding for the city's share for Phase II of the Downtown revitalization project.b. I do not believe a tax increment financial district is in need at this time. Even though this tax may speed up the process for funding a downtown project. I think it would drive away existing businesses, and a higher tax is the last thing we need at this time.
6. If it is financially feasible we need a new civic center for our citizens. I would be in favor of selling the old center to build a new one. I would hope we could keep the doors open as close to as possible of the new buildings completion. We need a center of comparable or maybe slightly bigger than our current center. In this we would need a larger stage for banquets, graduations, and performances. It would also need backstage amenities for performers. The center would need to have more electronic capabilities with movable dividing wall, and less columns in the structure for better utilizing of floor space. I would like to see it on a larger piece of property for more parking, Rv spots, and room to set up vendor tents or booths.

From Gary Trippensee, running against Dustin Phillips:
1. I have 39 years of technical/engineering management experience. Fourteen years were with private industry and 25 years were with NASA. My last 16 years at NASA, I managed several of the U. S. Government's Experimental Research Aircraft programs. One program I directed was a joint program with the German Government. My overall responsibilities included defining, building, or acquiring all infrastructure such as facilities, labs, hangars, ramps, tracking ranges, utilities, etc to ensure program success. This experience feeds into the needs of Grove. I am use to working with large groups of people to get the goals accomplished, the overall job done, and to stay within budget.
2. City Government should be for the support and needs of the Grove Citizens. I am committed to opening the Grove City Government to all of the Grove Citizens. The ability for citizens to speak at the start of a council meeting would be a first start. Good, qualified Grove citizens are also being kept out of city government and out of the various city trusts. I believe that only (1) council member should be on any city trust, thereby getting more citizens to be part of the planning and decision processes. I believe that open city government will foster improved relations between the city and Grove Citizens.
3. I see Grove continuing to grow and I want the citizens to benefit from the best City Government possible. The infrastructure maintenance plan and capital improvement plan should be the best available within the funds allowable. I want to see the city come back together where a friendly small town atmosphere prevails.
4. I am very aware of the Chamber's budget reduction, and I support the Chamber's original budget level of $27,000. I would also support a budget increase during the next budget cycle if the Chamber has justification for an increase.
5. The City of Grove needs a strong and revitalized downtown. Grants are a great way to accomplish this work. I will support Phase II of the downtown revitalization as long as the plans and the city's portion offunding are reasonable. At the present time, I do not support a tax increment financial district.
6. Your first two assumptions are items that seem to be bothering most of the Grove citizens that I have talked to. No one knows what the current plans are for selling the civic center or what the plan is for the method of payment of a new civic center. Most are worried that the existing center will be sold and a new one will not get built. I also share their concerns. Now, assuming your assumptions are correct, I currently support selling the existing center only if a new center is available for occupancy. A new center should be capable of housing all of the events that are currently supported. In addition, it should have better acoustics for musical events: be able to be partitioned for multiple simultaneous uses: have several breakout rooms: updated kitchen and larger eating area; better showers, better outside RV hookups, and emergency power capability. If funds are available an indoor pool would be nice. Easy access with large parking facilities would also be required.

From Harry W Worley (running against Carolyn Nuckolls and Mike Davenport)
1. I have lived all my life in the City of Grove. I have served on almost every civic group at one time or another. I served 8 years on the council from 1980~1988(the first council under the city manager form on government).
2. In the past the councils I was on gave a little ground to achieve tremendous headway. With the attitude of cooperation and respect a great deal can be achieved.
3. I believe that by pulling together, the council and various boards of the city can once again attain growth and pride in every endeavor.
4. Being on the first council to fund the marketing budget of the Chamber, I think that this is a great asset of the City. In a city whose only income is sales tax, any investment that helps draw people to the city is not only wise but a win-win deal for all involved.
5. Again any improvements that help get and keep people in Grove to spend money and raise revenues is a smart decision. This does not give a blank check to anyone but lays the foundation to reason. I don not believe a tax increment financial district will pass a vote of the people. It is their city. I however am willing to try and promote the district.
6. Financing is a complicated issue. If financing requires that the old building is sold before a new one is built, I would be in favor as long as a reasonable short time between sale and finish of the new building is established and all monies are earmarked for that sole use.


From Mike Davenport, running against Carolyn Nuckolls and Harry Worley:
First and foremost in my decision to run for city council is the desire to move our community forward thru careful planning and implementation of goals that have strong community support.
1. My wife Kim and I have been members of this community for over 30 years and I have had the opportunity to participate and work for the betterment of this community. I worked 12 years for the Grove Municipal Services Authority and fully understand the problems and the operation of our municipal services system. The additional experience of running my own business has prepared me to understand the accounting and compliance issues that are facing Grove and must be addressed. I pledge that I will listen to the citizens, study and prepare for board meetings and bring trust to our city government thru open and fair dealings.
2. A cohesive City Government will be obtained when the City Council listens closely to the people, welcomes debate, demands compliance with the law, and leads the community with strong majority support. I will propose that all City Government meetings be televised. One of my goals is to upgrade the city web site to include and archive all agendas and minutes. The website should be interactive with information available to the public and seeks input from our citizens. An excellent example of the type of city website I propose is the City of Bartlesville and can be found at www.citvofbartlesville.on!. Openness is the hallmark of an effective and trustworthy government.
3. My vision for Grove includes a community united, with a spirit of optimism and hope for the future. I will make roads, utilities, and other infrastructure improvements my first priorities. I will demand and participate in an open government that seeks and invites input from the public.
4. I will at my fist city council meeting seek to amend the City Budget and immediately restore funding to the Grove Chamber. Chamber advertising and promotion has helped Grove prosper and grow, without the cost of city staff dedicated to this important task.The decision of the current City Council to cut funding was short sided and not in the best interest of our community.
5. I will fully support downtown revitalization under the leadership of Dr. Stout and many others in completing the beautification and infrastructure improvements of the downtown. Downtown is the heart of our community and I will work to see it brought back to excellence. I would carefully listen and educate myself to proposals that include the formation of a tax increment financial district but at this time cannot give you answers.
6. I look forward to the proposals and recommendations of the current Blue Ribbon committee. I would support the sale of the current Civic Center if a new facility could be built affordably and was approved by the voters. I recognize that the current location of the Civic Center could bring in increased sales taxes and the possibility exists to have a facility with a better location, parking and designed for multiple uses. I will work to bring the community together to achieve this goal. The design and uses of a new Civic Center should be prepared with the help of a quality architecture firm that captures the spirit of Grove. This can only be accomplished with the input of the Blue Ribbon Committee supported by a strong community involvement.

Note: Carolyn Nuckolls did not answer the questionnaire.
Responses were printed exactly as provided to the Chamber, unedited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home