The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, September 22, 2006

A Matter of Faith...



By Carol Round

IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU
"Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Romans 13:14 (NIV)
“It’s mine.”

If you’ve ever watched two children playing together, you’ve probably heard those words before. Like most two-year-olds, my granddaughter has to learn the concept of sharing with her younger brother.

She’s learning. Sometimes she conveniently forgets. Recently, she took a toy away from her brother and told her parents: “Look, Bubba is sharing.”

Sharing does not come naturally to humans. When we are born, our needs are focused on “what’s in it for me?” When we come out of the womb, we’re crying. We’re hungry. We’re tired. We’re scared.

Our needs are simple. Feed me. Change me. Hold me. Comfort me. As we grow, our needs change but they are still basic. We not only need food to sustain our bodies but we need love to help us thrive.

Somewhere in the growing process though, we confuse need and want because we are born selfish. We have to learn selflessness. Letting go of self is not an easy process. It requires daily effort, especially in our “me first” society.

The advertising and marketing world reinforces that “It’s all about me” mentality. Look at some of the slogans: “Because I’m worth it.” “Have it your way.” “It’s everywhere you want to be.” “When you got it, flaunt it.” “Double your pleasure, double your fun.”

When the focus is on our pleasure and having our way, we miss God’s best for our lives. One of my favorite advertising slogans is “Reach out and touch someone.”

As I was leaving church one morning last fall, I met a woman struggling to open the heavy glass door. Her right arm was in a sling. Although she was wearing a turban, it didn’t dawn on me that she was battling cancer. I saw her struggle and assumed she had a broken arm. I rushed to open the door for her. After she thanked me, I inquired about her arm. She told me of her battle with cancer and the resulting problems with lymphedema or arm swelling.

Our conversation has led to a close friendship because I am a cancer survivor too. I am blessed because mine was diagnosed early. I did not need chemo or radiation. My friend was not so fortunate.

Patti, however, doesn’t feel sorry for herself. Her attitude toward life is a blessing to me as well as to others. In fact, this tiny woman is also dealing with her husband’s health problems. She is focused, not on self, but on helping others even though she spends most of her days at the doctor’s office or visiting her husband who is confined to a rehab center.

Caught up in self, we forget our purpose. Just as Jesus humbled himself to wash the feet of his disciples, so must we humble ourselves to serve others.

Are you self-centered or other-centered? Remember, it’s not about you.

Carol Round is a former Jay High School journalism teacher who now resides in Claremore, Oklahoma. Readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home