The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, September 08, 2006

A Matter of Faith...



By Carol Round

A Day Hemmed in Prayer

“Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.” James 5:13 (NIV)

Like many young children, my granddaughter will not go to sleep without her favorite “blankie.” Its softness and a picture of Winnie the Pooh provide security to a child who has yet to understand the ultimate comforter.

I, too, had need for a security blanket when I was younger. Buried inside my cedar chest is a handmade baby quilt that my grandmother made over 50 years ago. In each of the twelve blocks is a lamb. The hand-sewn details are intricate.

The time that my grandmother put into stitching the quilt for me is evidence of her love before I was ever born. Stains now grace the blanket and the edges are frayed, a testimony of my attachment to this childhood comfort.

Throughout our lives we become attached to things or relationships that we think are necessary to our wellbeing and happiness. Then something happens, causing us to re-evaluate their importance.

We struggle, hanging on even when it is no longer what we need or what God wants for our life. In our desire to keep things the way they are, our lives sometimes unravel because we cling too tightly to the status quo.

When we are attached to yesterday, we can’t move forward. When we are afraid of change, we become stagnant. Look up the definition of stagnant and you’ll find: motionless, dormant, idle, inactive, inert, lifeless, sluggish, stale, stationary, still and unmoving.

The opposite of stagnant is active and flowing. How can we move out of our comfort zone with confidence so that God can do a good work in us?

We can follow Jesus’ example. He spent time alone in the wilderness each morning in prayer. During quiet time with the Lord, we become energized and gain a new perspective if we listen for His voice.

The Lord’s voice is the reassurance that we need to move forward, letting go of our “security blankets” and stepping out in faith. It is the only sustenance we need to fill our lives with confidence that we are a child of God.

As a child, I found solace in my baby blanket. As an adult, I find peace from knowing the Lord.

I start each morning with prayer but also turn to Him throughout my day in praise and thanksgiving. I strive to stay God-centered by putting Him in the middle of my day as well as at the beginning and at the end.

Christians often wonder: “How can I spend all of my time in prayer?” I used to ask the same question. You don’t have to spend every minute in prayer but you can have an ongoing conversation with Him. When your focus is on serving Him, you can pray any time, even while talking with others.

Did you know God is always present, always listening and always ready to answer? When you hem your day in prayer, it never unravels.


Carol Round is a retired Jay High School journalism teacher who now resides in Claremore, OK. Readers can reach her at carolaround@yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home