The Grove Observer

A weekly newspaper for Grove and Grand Lake residents. Published every Friday. If you have news, email us at groveobserver@yahoo.com or fax (918) 791-0206. Copyright 2007. No reproduction without consent of the author.

Welcome to The Grove Observer...a weekly newspaper serving Grove and the Grand Lake area. If it's news, we'll cover it. You also have the opportunity to comment on our newspaper via your own posts. We publish every Friday and hope that you enjoy this increased coverage of events around Grand Lake. Send our web address to your friends as well.

Editor & Publisher: Jim Mills



Friday, July 14, 2006

A Matter of Faith...

By Carol Round

GIVE UP YOUR INDEPENDENCE TODAY

“I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.” Psalm 119:45 (NIV)

I was walking my dog recently when I passed a local day care center where children were playing outside. As I watched them, I recalled when my two sons were still small.

My children are now grown. One is married and has blessed me with two grandchildren. I have heard that grandchildren are God’s way of rewarding parents for not killing their teenagers. Makes sense to me.

Making sense of life can sometimes be difficult. I recently called a friend who, along with her husband, has been there for me when I needed someone. I had phoned her because something was bothering me that morning. It turned out that she, as well as I, needed uplifting.

Our conversation turned to our adult children. Although she didn’t reveal the nature of the problems that her children were facing at the time, she felt burdened by their trouble.

As parents, many of us can relate. We sometimes see our grown children making decisions that we feel are not the right choices for them or at least not at the right time in their lives.

As my friend said about her children’s choices, “Sometimes I just want to smack their backsides.”

I had to laugh because you just can’t spank a child who towers over you—even if you would like to get his attention. Grown children usually don’t want you telling them what to do. I have to bite my tongue sometimes when I see through eyes of experience what they cannot. I know my parents felt the same way.

If one of my sons is troubled, he will sometimes seek my advice. That doesn’t always mean that either one will follow my recommendations.

As my friend and I discussed our children, we both realized that our relationship with our heavenly Father is the same. We sometimes ignore His warnings and get into trouble. Then we go running back to Him when we recognize that we needed Him all along.

I wonder if He ever wants to smack our backsides when we don’t listen. Although I am sure that God gets as frustrated with us as we do with our own children, I have a feeling He would lift us up on His lap and give us a great big hug.

God always gives us another chance when we fail. He allows us the freedom to make mistakes, even when He has warned us about the consequences of our choices. But He forgives us and He still loves us—even when we disappoint Him.

Just as our grown children still need us, we need our heavenly Father. But we shouldn’t wait until we get into trouble to go running to Him. Seek His guidance daily. By reading His word and turning to Him in prayer, we are admitting our dependence on Him.

Can you release your independence to Him? It’s not giving up. It’s giving in to the One who has your best interests at heart.


Carol Round is a former Jay High School teacher who now resides in Claremore, OK. She may be contacted at carolaround@yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home